- It is always recommended to take a backup of windows before upgrading to Windows 7.
- Insert the Windows 7 DVD which you purchased. Double click the setup file and start the installation process.
- Note down the product key which is printed on the back side label of the DVD.
- Windows 7 will start loading the files and a status bar will be shown. After this the basic configuration window will be displayed.
- Select the ‘Language to install’, ‘Time & currency format’ & ‘Keyboard & input method’.
- Click ‘Next’. Select the Operating system which you want to install (x86 or 64 bit) architecture. Click ‘Next’.
- Click on ‘Install now’ to start installing Windows 7. The ‘End User License Agreement’ window is displayed. Select ‘I accept the license terms’ checkbox and click on ‘Next’.
- Select ‘Upgrade’ option. The drive option will be displayed. Select the drive on which you want to install Windows 7 and click ‘Next’.
- The ‘Installing Windows’ screen appears. Wait for this installation process to complete. Your computer might restart several times during this process.
- After the installation process is complete the ‘Set up Windows’ option is displayed.
- Type a username and the computer name for your PC. Click ‘Next’.
- Type the password if you want to setup for your windows or click ‘Next.
- Type your Windows product key and select ‘Automatically activate windows when I am online’ option. Click ‘Next’.
- Click on ‘Use recommended settings’ and click ‘Next’.
- Select the appropriate time zone, date & time settings. Select the type of network to which your computer is connected.
- The installation of Windows 7 is complete. The system will restart and you will get a login prompt to login to Windows.
- Check all the user account profiles and the data from your previous windows. If all is good and done properly than the upgrade is successful. Enjoy your Windows experience.